Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Man Who Glowed

.

.

A metaphor for

the alcoholic life

is the candle

in the God Hole,

that candle that

burns in the area

where the heart

lives and loves.

The alcoholic, through constant drinking, tries to dowse the flame and put out the light.

A symptom of the disease of alcoholism is one where the suffering wants to isolate,

be alone, push away anyone who loves them and kill themselves.

In recovery, the God Hole candle begins to return to it’s former glow.

I met a man at an AA meeting whose candles glow and warmth filled the room.

His greeting for one and all was always the same: “If no one has told you today,

God loves you, and so do I.”

I wanted what he had; the sincerity, the humility, the serenity and the obvious

willingness to put doing the next right thing, the will of his Higher Power,

before concern for himself.

The glow of the candle from his God Hole was so bright and warm that it enhanced

the glow of everyone he came into contact with.

Although my friend is no longer with us here on earth, the light from his candle still

glows so that others may find peace of mind in sobriety.

Today, I may not drink alcohol, but I must still remain vigilant that my attitude

and my actions do not dim the brightness of my God Hole candle.

Today, I want the newcomer to AA to see me as one of the many whose glow

will lead them to sobriety and a new way of living that is happy, joyous and free.

Today, I will never forget those who have gone before me, those who taught

me how to enjoy the glow of the Spirit of the Universe.

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, 
and the life of the candle will not be shortened. 
Happiness never decreases by being shared.” ~Buddha

.

ME and the Boss
.
.
.
.
..


No comments:

Post a Comment